21 September 2008

Huaráz

[Warning! Below is the rant of a very congested woman, but stay tuned for the lighter side of mountain life...]

Well, I had a day of reprieve from the bus ride into the mountains (ask if you dare) before being struck down with….no, not that…a common cold. But a gnarly one in my defense, although I’ve never taken well to not being able to breathe or sleep, two of my favorite things. Fortunately (or not) my plans are moving slower than I had hoped (shocker) so I had today to try and nurse myself back to health. Although it is not going well so far…I’m feeling worse. Perhaps I will try the much loved beer cure.

As we all know, the work (whatever it may be) moves forward one step and back eight, then a leap to the side… etc. Según eso, I made two useful contacts this morning, finally heard back from another set of people via email that will be important, and arranged to sit in on a 4-hour introduction class to an intensive Quechua Ancashino language program on Friday. Not bad for a half days work while feeling like your head is a balloon the size of the moon. However, it is obvious to me that my selection of a field site will not happen this week (hark, the NSF reviewers sing). On Thursday I am going to meet some folks in two villages to the north, but I fear they are too far away from the glacier to suit the needs of the project, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. There are several other positive possibilities and I’ve now figured out two solid and rather poetic ways to portray the ideal geographical location of my proposed work (a pie de los nevados or la falda de los nevados) which will certainly help the selection process.

This morning when I first figured out the set backs (and there are several) it caused a bit of panic, but during my sick day, I was able to console myself with the realization that I proposed to begin village work in November so I need not stress too much or try to jump too fast if things are not right. An important thing to remind myself of regularly, apparently. Otherwise everyone is very gracious and helpful. Several have given me locally authored books on water issues, along with the dissertation of a colleague who I met last year that works on disasters related to increasing glacial instability. I must admit, it was a bit heavy to hold the thing (freshly signed) in my hands…am I really supposed to write one of these?!

Back to Lima on Sunday...

No comments: